Thursday, July 19, 2018

How Should Christians think about Hillsong's "So Will I" (100 billion x)?



I wanted to speak on Joel Houston's (Hillsong)song "So Will I" (100 billion x). Many of you probably already know the controversy surrounding this song nad Joel Houston's theology of creation. I wanted to share a video from the Answers In Genesis ministry that might clarify some things that Joel tweeted. It will be at the bottom of this post. I just wanted to personally share one thing that has not been shared in any of the articles I've read or videos I've watched on the subject. While talking about the writing of the song, "So Will I", Joel is quoted as saying,

"aware of the implications 'evolving' would serve as a conflicting adjective for some" but said they still felt "it was worth it--if just a foolish desire to enlarge our thinking of a God who was-is-&-is to come, making all things new, 'from-Him, through-Him, To-Him.'"

I think this is very irresponsible for a worship pastor to purposely write lyrics that he knows will cause confusion and controversy. This is a song that is to be sung by congregations for worship. Worship is not a time to impose one's "foolish desires" that cause confusion but, worship should be a time of celebrating the clear promises and truths of scripture. this is my opinion but I would think it best to not sing "So Will I (100 billion x)"as a congregation.
Below are an article and a video that I think will help in explaining the theological problems surrounding this song and how to begin to think about them.
An article from the Christian Post: https://www.christianpost.com/…/hillsongs-joel-houston-cla…/ 
Video from Answers In Genesis: https://youtu.be/y-Pttja1b-U

No comments:

Post a Comment

No Longer Using This Blogsite!